The AKBAN “24” starts at 16:00, continues through the night, with no sleep or rest, and concludes at next day’s sunset, at 16:00. Only few minutes are allowed every hour and these are devoted to stretching and replenishing calories. After these five minutes we change partners and continue sparring (striking, kicking, throws and ground work) for another hour.
AKBAN Academy members were documented for the Guinness book of records in 2003, then, because of a rare October heat wave, we were stopped by the resident M.D. required by Guinness, because many were becoming dehydrated. The AKBAN fitness routine prepares us well – We have done Marathons and Ultras, but this “24” is the toughest, most difficult thing we do.
Video of the 2012 “24”
24 steps for the 24
1. 16:00, Take your self and 50 to a 100 veterans.
2. Coordinate with The army, the police, the area warden, the mountain’s kami and God.
3. Have a M.D. ready.
4. Bring a lot of water.
5. Have faith.
7. On the top of Mt. Eithan.
8. Fight with your friends.
9. Spit some sand.
10. Fight with your friends.
11. Spit some sand.
12. Fight with your friends.
13. Spit some sand.
14. Repeat as necessary.
15. Do not look at the watch.
16. When day arrives, drink like a camel.
17. Fight with your #@$%.
18. Spit some sand.
19. Get rid of the outer layer of your skin. Gesundhait!
20. Put something on these scratches, they look bad.
21. Fight with your friends.
22. Spit some sand.
23. Swear never to do this again.
24. 17:00. Yep, its over. see you next year. You never learn, you dog.