Measuring Awareness: The Role of Physiological Parameters and Emotion Regulation in AKBAN's Approach
In AKBAN's emotion regulation program, we focus on measuring key physiological indicators: heart rate, skin conductivity (GSR), stress levels in the voice, and skin temperature. Our approach is grounded in the idea that these metrics not only reflect the general physical state but also indicate shifts in awareness and emotion regulation.
- Physiological Measurements as Indicators of Emotion Regulation
- We use these measurements as tools to gauge the effectiveness of our emotion regulation strategies.
While a decrease in heart rate can result from various factors such as substance use, deep relaxation of skeletal muscles, or sleep, in the context of AKBAN's emotion regulation program, it holds a specific significance. When we observe a reduction in heart rate during our training, it's particularly valuable as it often reflects a conscious and willful effort to lower the pulse using one of our specific emotion regulation techniques. This distinction is crucial, as it demonstrates not just a passive state of relaxation, but an active engagement in and control over one's emotional state.
- Relation to other theories (Polyvagal and autogenic) - While our approach is not directly aligned with these theories, there is a tangential connection. We focus on how physiological states can reflect underlying emotional and psychological processes. However, our program employs a spectrum of physiological measurements to assess and enhance awareness.
- Tracking Changes in Awareness in AKBAN's emotion regulation program, we consider changes in physiological parameters also as indicators of shifts in awareness. To further assess awareness and mental sharpness, we incorporate various cognitive tests, including the Stroop test and others. These tests provide additional insights into the dynamics of stress, relaxation, and cognitive function, enhancing our understanding of these changes in real-time.
- Practical Applications - The data collected from these measurements is used to tailor emotion regulation techniques to each individual. This personalized approach aids in developing effective strategies for managing stress and emotional challenges.
- Benefits of This Approach - By objectively measuring physiological responses, we provide a more concrete understanding of the abstract process of emotion regulation. This method offers a clear framework for individuals and teams to understand and improve their emotional health.
In summary, AKBAN's emotion regulation program utilizes physiological measurements as integral tools for understanding and managing emotions. While there is some overlap with concepts like the polyvagal theory, our program stands on its own in its comprehensive use of these metrics to guide emotion regulation strategies. This approach not only aids in personal emotional development but also provides a structured method for assessing and enhancing emotional awareness.