Yossi Sherif Quotes
These are the subject headers of the short talk each and every lesson. They can be found in Hebrew here (ציטוטים של יוסי שריף)
The three roots of the martial art's teacher's work are: Kata, Randori and Mondo. [read more about the three roots]
- Kata is the seal of order, a form.
- Randori is the meeting place of chaos and order.
- Mondo explains the thinking part what is happening in the doing part.
Without these three there can be no teaching.
Fighting mondo subjects
- Do not participate in any battle that has predetermined rules. [read more about duels and war]
- Look for what you feel, but understand that you do not understand (Zvi Lanir).
- The first force multiplier is cooperation between individuals. [read more about groups and community]
- For partnership, mutual will is needed; for violence one is enough.
- Two for tango, one for aggression. read more about two to tango
- If one runs a war as a collection of duels or worse, a duel, he will lose. read more about war and duels
- The tension, the conflict of interests, can't be solved. We can only try to conduct ourselves. Read more about stoicism
- No surprises, war and negotiations are always against demons. read more
- If you have such a hammer that every problem looks like a nail, get yourself a spoon. read more about subjectivity
- Every attack is a syncopation, so pay attention to rhythm. read more about rhythm and syncopation
- In a hundred years MMA will be a traditional martial art and automatic weapons, ancient relics.
- When one learns aggression it is good for feeling better, When sensitivity is thought, that's for fighting better. Pressing the trigger between two heartbeats, observing the opponent's breathing, that's sensitivity.
- Most of the time there is a big difference between a sense of danger and real danger. Sugar killed more people than all the criminal organizations.
- Near signs that warn: "Be careful, pickpockets!" are always congregations of pickpockets. They build on the fear. That is the best place to know where there is money or valuables. Most people would touch there just to make sure. Seeing with awareness always discovers another reality.
- Swords are made in fire, doughnuts are coated with sugar.
The beginning of training mondo subjects
- The journey cleanses.
- Two mistakes are cardinal, the first, not starting to walk, the second, stopping before it's time to stop.
- We will talk after 10,000
- If it’s April the 14th, 1912, and you are eating breakfast on the Titanic, it’s too late to learn to swim.
- You are not a magic wand that can do everything the magician wants.
- No pills, just wake up in time.
- No use talking about a journey without physically walking.
- The freedom of discipline is a direct consequences of the option to not be disciplined. Discipline is a decision that has to be renewed every time. The role of a teacher is to demonstrate it. That is all. Once a teacher activates a student discipline by proxy, both have failed. Sometimes a leader and teacher's roles are mixed up, they should not be.
- Form is secondary, utility is king.
Continuing to train mondo subjects
- Look at the water and look at the fish
- Do your best and get some rest.
- Veteran soldiers can sleep anywhere.
- Emulation, internalisation, creativity.
- To do what you like is low, to do what you should is high. To like to do what you should is the path to mastery.
- Many rests on the dojo mattress is a talisman for many happy years in the dojo.
- Don't give steaks to babies; when we start, we start with the foundation, not from the needle on the highest tower.
- There's enough time, inhale and slowly exhale after a hundred years. There's no time, hold your breath and look around now.
- Go for the feel, not for the kill
- I train my dog like this, I pat him for no apparent reason.
- For me every training session is the whole universe. (Ido Goldshmidt)
- There are no Shortcuts, but there is Kwitzat Haderech. Here's to Kwitzat Haderech.
Emotion regulation mondo subjects
- If I remember myself, everything that hinders, helps.
- Before fighting demons, they must be named.
- The hand remembers less than the cheek.
- Don't argue with the universe.
- If you can, change the situation, if you cannot, change your attitude.
- When the metal goes into the furnace, your thoughts go with it too.
- The ability to abstain from hitting a person depends on the ability to punch a person well.
- The results of uncontrolled anger are always worse than the causes.
- Get comfortable being uncomfortable and the main tool for that is breathing.
- If you find it hard to fall asleep, put a knife under your pillow.
- When night falls and you are alone in the desert, words have little meaning.
- At the end of any fear, any anxiety, there should be action. Plan this action.
- Fear is contagious; one gets it through texts, visuals and smell.
- One person's fear is another person's opportunity.
- Minus times minus is plus, but shit times shit is never a vanilla ice cream and no religion or science would prove the opposite.
- Pain is a close friend, I listen to it with compassion but no identification. It's a friend, not me.
- Don't confuse complexity with chaos. Complexity is many factors that one can prepare to, chaos is a situation that can only be prepared to by emotional stabilisation.
- The gun kills instantly, medicine takes time.
Community mondo subjects
- The practice is more important than the teacher.
- I am not less of an orange if he is a magnificent apple.
- A beginner is the most important person in the dojo.
- When practice changes under a gaze, even for the best, it's not stable.
- The knowledge community exists not only for those that are physically present; it exists also for those that cannot be present, for many reasons. So not being present is nothing to be ashamed of. It is a matter of circumstances.
- Training in martial arts is not only for martial knowledge; it is also a way through which 'people who should study martial skills' understand.
- We need command, control, communication. Why do we always forget communication?
- The two markers of culture are tools and leg bones that have healed after a fracture. There are no animal leg bones that have healed because an animal that has broken a leg does not receive protection long enough for the fracture to heal.
- A gecko can teach Tyrannosaurs Rex not only survival skills, humbleness too.
- The first force multiplier is cooperation.
- When the communication is better and there is trust, so grows the force multiplier.
- Trust is an inner and outer force multiplier.
- There are other ways to have cooperation without trust, over time, they ar inferior.
- Would you rather climb without a rope or climb with a rope that looks ok, but is torn inside?
Dangers mondo subjects
- Prepare for everything, you'll be ready for nothing. Better get ready for nothing. (Dan H.) [read more about Shin Gun]
- It doesn't matter if you had fun, what matters is, did you control yourself.
- Robots, robots, at the end somebody has to do the job.
- To breath is easy, to stop breathing is hard. To stand is easy, falling is a skill. Holding is easy; letting go is an art.
- You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs, but just breaking some eggs does not make an omelet.
- The algorithm is the enemy.
- The internet is broken, it has been broken for a long time, and that is dangerous. Learn to open a book and sit with it for a few hours, learn to sharpen pencils, learn to walk, go to your friend and call him out to play, learn to hear people, talk face to face and mainly learn to shut up.
- The craft should always be married to the brand,